Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Welcome to the Big Company...

12:00 hrs April 25, 2005
i happily entered the philips establishment (my new clients), eager to start a new life. altho i had gone thru the same twice before, (since i joined my new company) this was something different coz it was my first experience with a "big company". i entered the office and saw a huge reception hall, reminiscent of my visits to 5 star hotels (only that the people in 5 star hotels are better looking :) ). i sat down in the plush sofa waiting for my boss to arrive and called up my friend to tell him about my prev night endeavours (which i may discuss some other time). my boss arrived and then he gave me a lengthy talk abt, how the work here is good, how this client is good, what "important" role i play blah blah.. then i had to spell my name thrice for the man who gave me a visiting pass to enter the premises. and then the moment came when i entered the office.....

i saw a huge network of cubicles, infinite machines and people sitting in front of them oblivious of such a important moment in my life. anyways i was introduced by my boss to lot of people and finally i got the chance to sit on my PC alone. i had a habit (for the last 3 years of my profesional life) to check all my mails i.e. yahoo, hotmail etc., start all messengers, survey if any interesting person is online today, check my office e-mail, and then go on to my work. i happily typed mail.yahoo.com in the browser and waited for my routine to begin. and then REALITY struck........... there came a message saying that web-based e-mails are blocked from 9am to 7pm, chatting is blocked all time etc.etc...this was a great shock to me, me who had assumed that chat and e-mail are "janm siddh adhikar" of an employee, me who had fought with my systems administrator in my prev company because net was down at the time when i reached office, me who then realised that i had entered a "big company".

the routine that i was used for 3 years, was broken in a day. i couldnt take the shock yesterday so when i came back to my senses today i am able to blog this. anyways the surprises didnt end with my "morning" (well for me 11:00 and 12:00 are morning coz i enter the office at these times). i went with my "colleagues" (i will describe my colleagues some other time but for time being you can assume they are not at all interesting) for my lunch and saw a sea of people in the cafeteria having their meals. the journey from the buffet table to the much sought after sitting table included a minimum of 8-9 excuse me, and moving my plate from one direction to another. after having my lunch and a customary walk around the "campus" i returned back to my seat. i couldnt take it any more so i left the office at 4pm and was fast asleep in my comfortable bed my 4:30pm.

and then it happened. in my dream came morpheus and said to me "Welcome to the Big Company...."

kullu

4 Comments:

Blogger Panty said...

Hey that was a awesome post..
Fundoo dude..
I liked it the most..

By the way what the hell is this big company..
A fiction or what..??
The other day bodhi was telling me that u went for some interview for timepass and asked for a huge pay and they were ready to give that to u..:D

Is this in the same connection..??
If this is tre then its pity man..
I completely agree.. One can not survive without net..
How can u work continuouesly without surfing a bit.. God fergive those big company employers.. they don't know what have they done :)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said...

The emphasis on the "no internet" is so freaky... it makes me want to already quit the job I'm not scheduled to join for another 4.5-5 months.

9:58 AM  
Blogger kullu said...

kathak - the story teller. is the name got something to do with raghav the story teller. the guy in UK who remixes. hmm.. interesting name.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said...

Kullu... no, Raghav is a thief ya! who never heard of Intellectual Property :D

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home